Monday, December 13, 2010

Food Logs

Recently I've had some delicious meals, both out at restaurants and at home. Unfortunately, the state of my laptop has prevented by daily blog entries, and I'm at the mercy of borrowing my friends' computers at their convenience. Nevertheless, I can recall some great meals over the last few days.

This weekend, I enjoyed a lot of the Meadville cuisine that I had missed for the last few months. I went on some fabulous dates with Nick - we spent several hours at the Artist Cup, sipping coffee and eating soup and sandwiches, and we also went out to Julian's with some of our friends. We went to the Steelers game on Sunday and shared some french fries, and tonight we finally went to Aoyama in Erie for sushi that we had been ultimately craving for ages. I've been having a blast sharing meals with my friends, and I've been careful to avoid any meats that are not free-range and organic (basically, I haven't been eating meat unless I prepare it myself).

I've also been preparing lots of local and organic meals. I've been loving my plain, local, organic yogurt with my frozen berries and organic granola. It makes a perfect breakfast or snack. I've also been enjoying my flatbread with my pb&j, or pb&honey, they are both sooo delicious, and both of these meals are quick and easy to make. Finally, nothing is more cozy or delicious than my fairtrade organic hot cocoa made with my raw milk - it's been the perfect drink for these terribly cold winter days.


Last night, I made chicken soup for Nick and me. I stewed 2 organic free-range chicken legs from a local farm, and added potatoes, onion, carrots, celery, spelt, and corn. It came out thick and delicious, and my only non-local non-organic ingredients were the carrots and celery (and some sea salt). I also bought sourdough bread from the store (which was not organic or local) and baked it with organic butter until it was crispy and delicious. For dessert, I made a blueberry-blackberry pie with flatbread crust and drizzled it with local honey. We drank grape juice in fancy glasses to substitute for alcohol. Our dinner was fun to prepare and just as delicious as any meal at a restaurant. More importantly, however, it was made from primarily local and organic ingredients, and we have enough leftovers to last us until we go home to Pittsburgh for Christmas break!

No comments:

Post a Comment