Friday, December 3, 2010

Fun and Freedom

The last 2 days have had important implications for my project. On the one hand, I am passionate about maintaining the lifestyle I've developed over the last few months; and on the other hand, it's  been so much fun to enjoy new freedom.

I haven't kept a food log for the last 2 days, because it would be crazy and chaotic - I've tried so many different things! My first bite of non-local food was an asiago cheese bagel with egg and cheese from Pittsburgh Bagel, and a cup of coffee with cream on the side. Throughout the last two days, I snacked on Laurie's pie from Thanksgiving, salt and vinegar chips from housemate, cheese and crackers...the list goes on. I've enjoyed going out to eat and sharing meals with friends. For dinner, Nick took me to Valenzas for some delicious pasta.


I've decided that I needed some time to get the irresistability of "freedom" out of my system in order to maintain my commitment to local and organic foods. I did a little grocery shopping at the Market House, and got some things I'd been eyeing up all semester- local organic cheese (the salt in it kept me from eating it during my project), local organic plain yogurt, blueberry rhubarb jam from the Vines, all natural nothing but peanuts peanut butter, and fair trade organic coffee and hot cocoa. I've been enjoying these products more than anything. For a delicious lunch, I made pb&j on leftover bread from Valenzas, and for an incredible dinner I made pizza with my flatbread, canned tomatoes, garlic, herbs, new cheese, AND salt and pepper! It was literally to die for.


So as much as I've enjoyed trying bites of everything in sight, I intend to resume my food log today. I'm going out for dinner with my Mom tonight to a restaurant called Toast in Pittsburgh that provides local foods and seasonal menus, so I'm hoping to have an interesting post as a result. Now that I've let myself go a little crazy, I'm ready to get back on track, just not as strictly as before.

No comments:

Post a Comment