Friday, September 3, 2010

Travels

Today was a busy and successful day. I went shopping at my Erie co-op and got tons of good stuff. I added a ton of green, yellow, and red bell peppers to my frozen collection, and blanched and froze a big bag of green beans. I bought onions, green onions, apples, and parsley to use fresh, and I bought a ton of plums and heirloom tomatoes for canning. Here's a picture of my plum canning process:


I ended up with 4 pints of plums, and have 5 pints of delicious tomatoes in the hot bath right now. Not only was my trip to the co-op a success, but I also visited Wooden Nickell Buffalo Farm in Edinboro today, and was very pleased with what I found. I had been there my freshmen year and remember greatly enjoying it, but was even more excited now that it can be of such great use to me. I spoke with the owner about his treatment of his buffalo, and they are all free range and grass fed. I bought some burgers from him and learned that they are also conveniently located at the Market House! It was great to have a little bit of meat with my dinner, and I'm also really excited because buffalo meat is extremely lean and delicious. I intend to take some pictures the next time I venture out that way.

I'm hoping to go to the Market House tomorrow morning and check out their selection, and will be attending a mozzarella cheese-making class which I'm very excited about!

No comments:

Post a Comment