Sunday, October 3, 2010

Eating on the run

This weekend, I went home for the night on Friday so Nick and I could go to Fright Night at Kennywood. We had a blast and I'm so happy we went, but it was a total pain to get ready for. First, I bought 2 gallons of cider on Friday so that I could drink one and experiment with the other to make hard cider. I set one on my desk and the other on my computer as I was busily packing, and the one gallon slid off of my computer and fell onto my floor, where the plastic container exploded, soaking my beautiful pink white and orange carpet in apple cider. I was totally bummed and still had to hurry and pack up all my food for the next 2 days. I had to take SO much stuff home - I ended up taking butter, eggs, flatbread, cornbread, yogurt, spelt granola, apples, potatoes, milk, maple syrup, honey, salsa, and veggies. Some of this was to keep until next week, since I'll be going home again next weekend for fall break. My maple syrup spilled all over my cornbread during the ride home, which turned out ok since my cornbread was just sweeter, but still wasted a fair amount of syrup. Once I was home everything was great, it was fabulous to cook in my own kitchen. Eating on the run was a drag; I got sick of munching on things like cornbread and apples, and it interrupted my "meals." When I returned back to school and was putting things away, I realized I hadn't checked my peppers or tomatoes in a while, and some of them had spoiled and smelled (on top of the apple cider smell that was permeating my carpet). To summarize, I love going home, but it makes my project all the more difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment