Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Ups and Downs

I love Wednesdays because I have free time during the day to experiment in the kitchen. This morning I tried to make granola again. This time I toasted spelt with broken up chestnut pieces, and mixed it with a little over a tablespoon of honey, and a little butter. I flattened it on a baking sheet and cooked it at 300 degrees - and it came out perfectly! Using less honey mixture allowed it to become more of a bar than it had last time, and it's crunchy and delicious.

Later tonight, I had a craving for something sweet. I haven't been able to get my beloved maple candy, so I decided to try to make some. It seemed easy from all the recipes I've found (if you have a candy thermometer!), but I tried it anyway. I began to boil my syrup, and went away looking for a dish to put it in. Luckily one of my roommates, Amelia, was helping me in the kitchen, because the maple syrup turned into a bubbly volcano all over the stove top. After cleaning up the mess, I began to stir the syrup, because the recipe calls for it after allowing the syrup to cool (to a certain temperature - I just guessed). Unfortunately this didn't work and the syrup never thickened, so I tried boiling it again. Though no major explosions happened this time around, I still couldn't get my syrup to thicken, even after letting it sit for a while. I stuck it in the fridge in hopes it will thicken overnight, but I'm not feeling particularly optimistic about it. I'm going to keep an eye out for a candy thermometer - then maybe it will be a little easier!

My day ended on a highly positive note when I made my own apple pie. I used wheat flatbread as the crust - whole wheat pastry flour, water, and a little honey - and apples with honey as my filling. I cooked it in a buttered dish, and it is absolutely delicious. I think the next time I make it I'll put some butter in the upper pie crust and spread it over the top, because the top crust came out a little dry. Otherwise it couldn't have been more tasty!


I took a bite before remembering to take a picture!

Amelia enjoying a slice of our creation

No comments:

Post a Comment