Thursday, October 28, 2010

Kitchen adventures

Yesterday, I stewed a chicken from Pollard Farm, just outside of town. My chicken was small, and Pollard Farm's chickens are meant to be stewed because they are retired hens - if one were to roast one, the meat would be too tough to eat. I simmered my chicken for about an hour, then proceeded to cut it, let it boil, cut it some more, etc., until I cut all the meat from the bones. This process was a little tedious; I would compare it to eating crabs, as in a lot of effort for not much payback, while the end result is very worthwhile. Nevertheless, it made a delicious broth, to which I added chard, cabbage, spelt (as a noodle substitute), carrots, onion, and half a jalapeno. My soup is delicious - a touch of salt might be all that it lacks. I'm also thrilled because I made a TON - I had enough for lunch and dinner yesterday, dinner tonight, 4 tupperwares to put in the freezer, and a GALLON of leftover broth that I can use in other cooking endeavors.

I also made my best pumpkin pie yet! I found that by roasting my pumpkin the meat will peel away from the skin, which makes my life a thousand times easier, and it results in the wasting of less pumpkin. Also, it gives my pie the texture one would expect from pumpkin pie. With some added honey, my pumpkin on flatbread crust is the perfect fall snack, encompassing the essence of the autumn season.

This weekend, I'm eager to make a casserole and a quiche. I'll report my results!

No comments:

Post a Comment