Sunday, October 17, 2010

Pittsburgh spirit

Lately I've had head-on encounters with the culture of American food, which makes my project all the more challenging. As a Pittsburgh native, I am a fan of the Penguins and Steelers, and have been lucky enough to go to both a hockey and football game this fall. I got to watch the Pens in the new Consol Energy Center, which was incredible, and I saw the Steelers beat the Browns today on this gorgeous fall afternoon.

What many people tend to overlook are the elements of food that are inherently associated with sports. At the new hockey arena, they've taken their cuisine to a whole new level. Not only can one get peanuts, M&M's, soft pretzels, hotdogs, nachos, and all the other old-time favorites, but they now have a sushi bar, meat carving station, and multiple restaurants as well. My family couldn't wait to eat at the new arena; I on the other hand cooked dinner beforehand and snuck some honey and cornbread into the game. My family teased as I pulled out my honey container from my purse, but it certainly helped ease the feeling of seclusion.

At the Steelers game today, I forgot how much fun and excitement there is in the parking lot alone. The parking lots were lined with grills cooking up burgers, hot dogs, and kielbasi, while baked beans, pierogies, and baked goods were set out on the tables. And - of course - everyone had beers in hand. I took a burger of my own to the game today, which definitely helped my hunger for American cuisine and allowed me to feel more apart of the group.

As much as I am passionate about healthy eating and environmental sustainability, I am also a sucker for American pastimes. It was hard not to drink beer with the crowd today, and difficult to steer clear of all the "game foods" around me. It's days like today that my feelings toward my project are truly put to the test - when I expressed my longings to my boyfriend, he said "you have to remember you're doing something great, and something that you love." And he's totally right. As much as there are things I miss from before my project began, I'm learning so much not only about local eating, but about the culture of food in general. I'm grateful for my experiences because they continue to shape me; as my loyalty and passion are continually tested, my personal evolution deepens.

1 comment:

  1. I hear you. Food is all about culture and belonging. I eat all kinds of things when I travel I would never eat at home because I believe so much in the experience of eating with the locals. I ate chopped Yak in China, turkey gonads in Israel (barbecued), and I think beer, pierogies, and kielbasa would be essential for any Pittsburgh sports venue. In their own way they are all "local" foods.

    ReplyDelete