Saturday, October 9, 2010

New farms - new food!

I had lots of shopping and preparation to do to come home for fall break. First, I stocked up on a few gallons of apple cider that I'm leaving in Meadville to ferment, and perhaps have some hard cider in the next few weeks. I'll post some pictures once I can see some chemical reactions happening!

I also needed to get my food together for the long weekend. Luckily, I went shopping with my mom last week and had some food stocked up at home - chestnuts, pie pumpkins, honey, corn meal, and wheat flour. I got some great veggies in my Vines CSA bag this week, but I still wanted some fruit and things, so I went to the Market House. I got lots of apples, pears, and grapes, and also 2 bags of tomatoes that I am very excited about (I wasn't expecting to get tomatoes this late in the season). My mom was also kind enough to shop around the Pittsburgh area. She went to a Farmers Market in Pittsburgh that sold some organic produce from Gibsonia, PA. I came home to bags of squash, potatoes, beets, and gorgeous peppers. I was particularly excited about the cantaloupe she got for me; it was perfectly ripe and delicious and I enjoyed half of it for breakfast this morning!

On my way home from school, I stopped in New Wilmington to visit a farm called "Dream Thyme" run by a fabulous woman named Lynne. I was met at my car by atleast 10 friendly herding dogs, and got to meet many more throughout my visit, because she breeds them to use on her farm. She had chickens and geese running throughout her yard, as well as goats, horses, sheep, and rabbits in their various fenced-in areas. I got to hold a baby rabbit that was about the size of my palm, and it completely stole my heart. We walked through her fields and enjoyed the beautiful view on such a perfect and sunny fall afternoon. I had a great time talking with her and seeing all the animals. We went to the meat freezer next, where she showed me all the meat she sells for market. I bought a whole chicken to roast, a bag of chicken "parts", and a lamb shank for only $35. Lynne was so kind that she gave me goat ribs (I told her I had never had goat and she was eager for me to try it!) and a bar of her homemade goat milk soap just for visiting, and I was thrilled. The soap is awesome and I'm excited to try the goat ribs soon. I am eager to go back and visit again to get more meat, and perhaps spend some time volunteering there this summer!

It's very encouraging to still be finding new farms with great food that I haven't had in a while, or have never tried before. Lynne was so passionate about her farm that it was really inspiring and made me "fall in love" a little deeper with my project.

No comments:

Post a Comment