Saturday, November 6, 2010

Busy Saturday morning of cooking

This morning we had initiation for Kappa, so I was up very early, and it turned out to be great since I could devote so many extra hours to cooking. First, I roasted chestnuts, and I'm convinced that chestnuts are the earth's most natural luxury - they are incredibly delicious, and so easy to prepare! I simply scored the skins and stuck them in the oven at 425 degrees for about a half hour/40 minutes. The skins peeled right off, and the chestnuts were sooooooooo good. They don't even need anything added to them. My next task was making a shepherds pie, which was another easy and delicious dish. I boiled my potatoes while cooking my ground beef and vegetables, and then layered them in a casserole dish. I drained my potatoes and mashed them with milk. I left my potato skins on because I tend to enjoy them, which others may or may not prefer. I baked my casserole for about a half hour as well, and it will make some quick and yummy meals for the upcoming days. Finally, I opened my first peach jar today, and was relieved to hear a big "pop" upon opening it (since I was previously convinced I was going to die of botulism from eating my canned foods). I made a "peach pocket" with peaches, honey, and flatbread that's in the oven right now, and I can't wait to try it soon! It feels good to have gotten so much cooking accomplished today, and I will be reaping the benefits for the next few days, and can focus on other things like my pile of homework!

No comments:

Post a Comment