Friday, November 5, 2010

November check-in

The beginning of November marks the two-thirds completion of my project. I have about a month of strictly local eating left, and I haven't even begun to tap into my stock of preserved fruits and veggies. It's so funny to me now how much I stressed over this time of the year back in August - as I canned peaches and tomatoes in all of my free time, some days I was certain I was going to starve. What I hadn't realized then was the truly bountiful nature of the fall harvest season, and that when some things go out of season, they are replaced by others that are equally healthy and delicious. Autumn is full of delicious flavors, and I have gained valuable connotations regarding this time of year that I foresee lasting a lifetime. I have a whole new appreciation for what autumn truly encompasses, and I am looking forward to experiencing my surroundings in greater depth as new seasons approach.

With respect to my personal health, I'm still doing very well. I was concerned after conducting my research regarding salt consumption that I have been damaging my body from a lack of sodium, but I've decided that I will continue to live salt-lessly until I begin to feel adverse effects. In the meantime, I'm feeling physically as healthy as ever, and my weight has been stable since I checked it last month. I have tons of energy to devote to my exercise regimen, to my school work, and to my friends and family. Likwise, I've been enjoying myself much more than I did at my project's start. I'm experimenting more in the kitchen, and planning my meals much more efficiently. I'm also enjoying my hard cider from time to time, and feeling more "involved" with my peers. Here's a picture from Halloween, where I was a very scary witch, happily sipping cider from a pumpkin straw.


Not only has this project affected my physical health through a considerably healthier diet, but I have also experienced significant mental, emotional, and spiritual changes. First, I was always a good student, and have always been relatively organized, but my project has caused me to become incredibly efficient, productive, and nuch more organized. Planning my foods and meals has had a "rippling" effect onto other areas of my life; for example, right now I know every assignment for every one of my classes that I have due until the end of the semester, and I've even planned out when I'm going to be completing them all. This is unprecedented for me, but has made me all the more pleased with my productivity and has contributed to greater mental health as I have significantly reduced my stress level as a result. I'm also experiencing my surroundings in a more passionate manner, and the depth of my thoughts regarding my personal consumption and impact on the environment have affected me spiritually and emotionally. I'm trying to stay conscious of these changes so that I can incorporate my personal evolution into my final analysis.

Overall, the first two thirds of my project have in my opinion been an overwhelming success. I feel happy, healthy, and great about what I'm doing. Local organic eating has allowed me to create a new lifestyle to which I feel comfortable and well-adapted. I'm eager to see what the next few weeks will hold.

1 comment:

  1. Go you! I was worried about the salt issue when you first wrote about it, but I'm glad to hear that you feel good. You look great in the photo, great and happy.

    On a side note, I was never more organized than when I was working three teaching jobs and raising two small children. Now that my life is considerably "easier," I find that I have more trouble getting things done. I think that we go into super-organized mode when we have to, and so much the better.

    Best of luck for the next month. I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete