Friday, November 26, 2010

Celebrating the harvest season

My project is the epitome of what Thanksgiving encompasses, and I was able to truly celebrate the autumn bounty, preparing a feast of local foods. With the help of my mom and aunt, I roasted a 13.8 lb turkey and prepared delicious mashed potatoes, corn, and pumpkin pie. I didn't feel like I was missing out at all - my dinner couldn't have been more delicious!

In the afternoon I visited Nick's and Kali's families while my turkey was in the oven. Some of my Thanksgiving favorites - Sharyn's (Nick's mom) sweet potato casserole and Laurie's (Kali's mom) pecan pie have been dear to my heart, but they were both sweet enough to freeze their leftovers so I can enjoy them next week! Otherwise, it felt like the holiday as usual, spending quality time with the people I love. My aunt and cousins came to my house for the afternoon and brought me a spectacular gift: a bottle of wine, made by a friend of theirs from Cook's Forest, using organic grapes and no additives/sulfites/preservatives. I was absolutely thrilled!!!

I ran my Turkey Trot Thanksgiving morning; the weather could not have been worse - freezing cold and rainy. When I got home and showered, I was ready to celebrate. My mom and I started drinking my hard cider at noon, and later in the evening I had a glass of wine that my family brought me. It was sweet, but very strong - 18% alcohol. It made me tired and groggy, and I had a headache before the end of the evening. I haven't been drinking alcohol much at all for the last few months, and I didn't have much of a tolerance to begin with. I think I also am sodium depleted, and alcohol is very dehydrating. I need to keep in mind the importance of drinking water especially after exercise if I would like to enjoy alcohol.

Thanksgiving as a whole was a perfect day. I had a wonderful time with so many people I care about, and was impressed with the results of my Thanksgiving cooking. I'm excited to make more things for the family next year! My feast was so delicious, I accidentally cleaned my plate before thinking to take a picture of my meal. Even when I took my turkey out of the oven (it would have been a perfect picture), I started picking at the breast meat and skin, putting an ugly hole in the top of the bird before I realized I'd ruined the opportunity! Luckily I remembered to take pictures of my "round 2" today, and I still have more leftovers to enjoy tomorrow. I wish I could make them last until next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment