Sunday, November 14, 2010

Nobody does it like Mom

Today I enjoyed a visit from my mom as she was my guest for Kappa's annual Special Persons Brunch. It was so great to see her and we had a fabulous afternoon. Not only were we thrilled to enjoy a Law and Order SVU marathon (our favorite show), but she also helped me prepare a delicious meal that I can enjoy for the next few days.

This morning I brought my own meal to the Special Persons Brunch. Scrambled eggs were quick and easy, but I wanted to try something new, and I had dreamed up a recipe for a peach and blueberry cobbler. I put 2 pints of peaches into my casserole dish and added frozen blueberries. On top of the fruit I put cornmeal mixed with milk and honey. It took a surprisingly long time to bake, probably because the peaches were so juicy, but it turned out delicious (and made us only a little bit late for the brunch).

Later in the afternoon, my mom and I cooked a chuck roast. My mom is an expert when it comes to cooking meat, and she has been extremely helpful in finding me local meats that fit my criteria. Not only did she bring me a chuck roast this morning, but she also brought me chicken parts and two small beef filets, most of which she found from a farmer named Ron Gargasz who operates Volant's Organic Farm in New Wilmington, PA. We decided to make the chuck roast today so I could have meals already prepared for my busy Monday and Tuesday. My mom was wise in preparing the meat. After defrosting it, we put it in a roasting pan with some tomato juice and cooked it at 300 degrees. Since my meats tend to be a little tougher because the animals were truly free range, she thought it was best to allow the meat to roast for a long time at a low heat. We left it in for an hour and then added carrots, potatoes, onions, and garlic, and we enjoyed the succulent smells from the kitchen as we watched tv in the family room.. After about two hours, we added tomatoes and extra tomato juice, and put a lid on the roasting pan. She unfortunately had to leave before the meat was completely finished, but it was incredibly delicious when it was all finished. It was perfectly cooked through, while still being juicy and tender, and the vegetables made a perfect compliment. I only wish we could have enjoyed this wonderful meal together, and we most certainly will when I come home from school. The meal was also very colorful:


Reflecting on my weekend of cooking and eating delicious foods, I can't believe I only have two and a half weeks left ("officially") for my project. The time has flown by, and the more time that's gone by, the more local and organic have become a habit and lifestyle and less of a pressure or burden. As I finished my dinner tonight I thought about my habits...and proceeded to lick my plate. It's something I do a lot, but a habit that I had never paused to consider. I certainly never licked my plates before my project began - it most definitely would not have been viewed as proper in my household that stressed table manners. But I also wondered, had I ever wanted to lick my plate? Did I ever enjoy food as much as I do now? And I don't think I ever did. I've gained remarkable self confidence in my abilities in the last 2 months, and I have pride and respect for the meals I make. I also see food as a gift of experience that humans have been blessed with that I had overlooked until this point. I challenge anyone reading this to truly consider your next meal - to eat each bite slowly, chew deliberately, feel the texture, utilize your senses, and actually think about your food's origins. Perhaps we would all benefit from a deeper look at our sustenance, the nourishment that gives us life, to be healthier, wiser people.

No comments:

Post a Comment