Saturday, November 13, 2010

Experiments - Success!

Today I tried some new recipes and had overwhelming success in the kitchen. My housemate Abby texted me one morning and told me she had a dream about me cooking the night before, and she had in idea for a new recipe - a version of stromboli that I could adapt to include my ingredients. She had seen me make peach and apple "pockets" and dreamed that I did the same with more savory ingredients. I was thrilled by her idea and tried it out tonight. I started by cooking a burger, and adding garlic, jalapeno pepper, and onion to the pan. While these cooked I prepared my flatbread, and then added my tomatoes and chard to the mix. Once they had all simmered together, I wrapped them in my flatbread and baked it at 400 degrees until the edges were golden brown. It was so delicious the picture simply doesn't do it justice. I think it tastes even better than pizza (which I have desperately missed!)

I also experimented with another one of my favorites - maple candy! I've been able to get it at the Market House recently, but decided I should atleast try again to make it myself  (since last time I had a boiling syrup eruption in my kitchen, I was hesitant to repeat it). This time I used a much deeper pot, and also used my recently purchased candy thermometer so I could actually know when the syrup reached 240 degrees fahrenheit. It was actually quite easy this time around; I simply waited while the syrup heated, took it off the heat when it reached 240 degrees, waited about 2-3 minutes for it to cool then stirred it for about 4 minutes until it became thick, lighter in color, and more opaque. I unfortunately stirred it just a little too long, however, and it didn't pour all that nicely from my pot. It tastes incredibly sweet and delicious nevertheless - I think it even tastes better than my candy from the Market House (don't things always taste better when you make them yourself?). And I'm going to look around for some candy molds to make my candy look more professional. I'm very excited about both of my new concoctions and will definitely be making them again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment