Wednesday, September 15, 2010

All in a day's work

I love Wednesdays because I have all morning and early afternoon to catch up on things. Today, I accomplished some important food tasks, and even did some homework too. I've had a watermelon waiting to be chopped for ages and finally got around to it today. It took about an hour to cut it and remove all the seeds, because I wanted to freeze it and use the pieces as the ice cubes of my fruit smoothies. I'm very pleased because my watermelon stock is plentiful!

I also spent a long time today experimenting and making stuffed peppers. I've always loved stuffed peppers but have never made them before; I had some idea of the process behind it, but didn't use a recipe for my creation. I enjoy the freedom of my cooking, rarely measuring or timing my processes. Today I cooked red onion, japanese eggplant, and cabbage with butter and garlic, and then added buffalo burger meat. After sauteeing them for a while, I blended them together with 2 eggs to firm up my mixture, and then stuffed it into my peppers. I baked them for a while (10 mins? 20 mins?) until they seemed soft and cooked through. I was the most excited after trying them because they turned out fantastic! I also replenished my cornbread stock too. One "batch" usually lasts me 2-3 days, so I should be good until the weekend (and hopeful that I'll be getting some spelt soon - I'm eager for more variety!)

I'm happy with today's outcome because I've been working towards a personal goal - planning for the future, both near and far. I made enough stuffed peppers for atleast 2 more meals, and have enough watermelon frozen for probably a month's worth of smoothies. I feel accomplished, satisfied, and full.

1 comment:

  1. "I enjoy the freedom of my cooking, rarely measuring or timing my processes."

    As long as you are not writing a cookbook, this is the way to go! :)

    ReplyDelete