Saturday, September 4, 2010

Rain Delays

Today was a progressive and fun day. Unfortunately the cheese-making class that I've been eagerly looking forward to was delayed until tomorrow for rain, but hopefully I'll have fun things to report tomorrow. This morning, I went out to Pymatuming as a favor for my dad and brother to stand in for their goose blind drawing. When I was turning around on a back country road, I found an apple tree in the corner of an intersection. I excitedly picked as many apples as I could reach and am eager to use them in some new recipes.

My next stop was the Market House. I was incredibly excited by my findings - I totally scored on lettuce, basil, and broccoli, and (no text could possibly relate my happiness) peaches, grapes, and RED RASPBERRIES! I'm obsessed with fruit in pretty much every form, but my love for red raspberries ranks high among my list of favorites. I spoke with all the farmers that I purchased produce from to make sure they meet my project standards, and learned from my "fruit lady" that her red raspberries should be around for a few more weeks, and she'll have more next Saturday as long as there isn't too much rain. I had to get the grapes and red raspberries in the freezer quick - the snacking was instant as soon as I purchased them, and I would have ended my stock in a day if I hadn't gotten them out of my sight. I left some to eat fresh this week, of course, and hopefully they will last beyond tomorrow. Talk about self control!

Other than my Market House happiness and freezing my findings, I canned 3 more pints of peaches, and now have a whopping 12 pints stocked up. Hoping to get some more this week, and I'm looking forward to some more delicious eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment