Thursday, September 30, 2010

All thanks to Rebecca

Today was a fabulous day with respect to the development of my project. First, my boss/farm mom, Rebecca, shared with me some of her delicious food when I forgot to bring my lunch to work. I had a colorful and tasty salad at her house, and I'm very appreciative of her kindness. I was even more excited, however, when she came back from the store to tell me she found me some apple cider! There are lots of apple ciders available from within my project's "radius," but I haven't found any yet that is chemical-free, until today! Rebecca's neighbor gets naturally and sustainably grown apples from Northeast PA, near Erie, and presses them on their farm. There is nothing in this glorious cider but delicious apples! I was planning on making my own cider, but I keep eating my apples before having an opportunity to press them, and this will save me loads of time and effort. I drank about a half gallon of Rebecca's cider today and can't wait to buy my own asap!

I was also really excited when Rebecca brought in an old sunflower from her yard. She showed me the seeds and explained how they form, and gave me a small basket full of them. I still need to peel them from their shell, but they will be a perfect addition to my spelt "granola" bars, which right now only consist of spelt, honey, blueberries, and a little butter. I'm eager to incorporate my new sunflower seeds!


I was also very happy when I received my CSA (community supported agriculture) bag today. Rebecca has great stuff every week, but I was particularly pleased by the small bag filled with tomatillos, onion, chile peppers, and cilantro. I cut up these ingredients with 2 small fresh tomatoes to make incredible salsa, which I enjoyed tonight it my form of a taco. I have lots leftover and am excited to use it throughout the next few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment