Sunday, September 26, 2010

Hot-ta-Molly

I've been spending my Sunday accordingly, cooking lots of food to eat throughout the week. I first experimented with my spelt, using the pressed oatmeal-like grains to make hot cereal. I cooked the spelt in boiling water for a while, drained off most of the water and added chopped apple. I stirred in maple syrup and milk to make a delicious fall breakfast!


I was really in the mood for something spicy too, so I decided to make chili. I used red and yellow tomatoes, and cooked them for a while with water and basil to make my broth. In a separate pan, I sauteed onion, garlic, hot pepper, cut up green beans, and chard in butter and then added them to the tomato broth. I also browned ground buffalo meat in a separate pan and added it to the mixture. I'm letting it simmer for a while now - it is spicy and delicious, perhaps not what one may consider to be typical chili, but I'm calling it "Chili-Hot-ta-Molly!"


I'm hoping this delicious soup will last me for a few lunches and dinners this week, and will go perfectly with a side of cornbread. I already replenished my cornbread this morning, and made more flatbread too. This time I made less flatbread, but made it thinner and cooked it longer, until bubbles formed in a few spots. It's crispier this time and very yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment