Saturday, September 18, 2010

Everything is easier with help from Mom

Friday night my mom came and visited me. We had a fabulous evening - I took her to Sprague Farm and she loved it and got to spend time with my friends and me. Not only was it wonderful to see her, but she was also very helpful with respect to my project. Saturday morning we went shopping, first to Wal Mart, to get some better cooking supplies (I've had some difficulties in the kitchen regarding my lack of equipment). With 2 new sautee pans, a casserole dish, a large stock pot, a handy cutting tool, a mixing bowl, and some towels and sponges, I'll be ready for any local cooking endeavor!

Our next stop the Market House. I enjoyed taking her around and talking with all the farmers from whom I've been buying my produce. She is very social and had many questions! We replenished my fruit supply - I bought apples, peaches, grapes, and pears (which are currently being made into pearsauce on stove top), as well as some veggies and more maple candy (yes!). My 2 most exciting finds today are all thanks to my mom. As a result of her urging, we bought 3 dozen ears of delicious sweet corn, most of which I roasted with butter this afternoon and put in the freezer. It was great to have my mom help me shuck the corn and cut it from the cob!



Our second exciting find was lying in the Market House freezer - a glorious 5.8 pound frozen chicken meeting my project's criteria. It is currently thawing and I plan on making roast chicken tomorrow night with carrots and onion, and some ears of corn. I'm hoping to eat it throughout the week, both alone and in salads, and when next weekend rolls around, I'll use it to make chicken stock and delicious soup. I'm so excited!

Though this weekend was fabulous, it had its "ups and downs." I've found that I get overly sensitive when offered advice, because I feel like I'm being criticized/not doing a good job, when in reality it is just the care of my loved ones and their eagerness to assist me that I'm getting frustrated by. I need to be more open-minded and confident in my own abilities, and less stubborn and more willing to accept others' help. I also have still had some issues with light-headedness, which tends to go away after eating but is still a minor concern.

Overall I'm very pleased with all I've accomplished this weekend. I only wish that I could have more time with my mom - we make a productive team!

No comments:

Post a Comment