Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Preparations and anxiety

I have made a few important strides in the last few days. First, I contacted Frankferd Farms concerning their products, hoping to find local organic wheat and oats. Unfortunately, they receive these items from the midwest. I was encouraged, however, to learn that they grow their own corn organically and mill it on site, and ordered a 25 lb bag of corn meal without hesitation. It should be arriving tomorrow or the next day, and I'm eager to start baking.

I also got my first gallon of raw milk. I haven't had a chance to remove the cream yet and experiment in butter-making, but am looking forward to trying it out tomorrow. My milk is from Bookamer Farm, and I'm also attending a cheese-making class there this Saturday.

I was very busy (and stressed) tonight preparing more foods for preservation. I froze green peppers and onions, and will be looking for more this weekend to add to my stock. I am currently canning 4 pints of tomatoes; they are in their hot bath for another half hour. I'm eager to see their outcome, and also intend to preserve some more of them.

This weekend I'll be visiting the Market House and Erie Co-op, hoping to find my fruits to preserve, and I haven't given up my search for local organic wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment