Monday, September 6, 2010

Cheese making

Today I learned how to make mozzarella cheese at the Bookamer Family Farm. The process was interesting and the class was fun, but I was disappointed to find that I couldn't eat the cheese that the Bookamers make. Their recipe calls for citric acid and salt, which give the cheese flavor, as well as rennet, a product found in the stomach of young calves, to make the cheese form. After speaking with Linda, however, I discovered that it is possible to make cheese without these added ingredients. She claims it will lack flavor, but I will use my creativity in that circumstance as well.

To make cheese with no added ingredients, I intend to allow my raw milk to sit out atleast overnight, so it can sour. Then I'll proceed the same as the Bookamers, heating the milk, cutting and stirring the curds, and separating them from the whey. I am eager to experiment with this later in the week when I have more time to devote to cheese making, but hopefully I will have pictures and exciting news!

No comments:

Post a Comment