Sunday, September 19, 2010

More Cooking Adventures

I spent virtually my entire day in the kitchen today, and I'm so excited about my creations. I roasted my chicken today; it took a little over an hour in the oven which isn't very long for an almost 6lb bird, but I learned from Professor Bakken that organic and free range poultry tends to cook in about half the time of conventional birds. I stuffed and rubbed the skin with butter, garlic, and a variety of herbs, and did the same with the potatoes, onions, and carrots I placed around the chicken in the bottom of the pan. My grandma hates roasting chicken because she says it reminds her of a baby in the oven....and that haunted me a little, but the delicious smells filling up my house allowed me to quickly overcome my reservations. It came out beautifully and I enjoyed a leg, thigh, and vegetables for my dinner.


I also made cornbread today since I ran out over the weekend. I made a ton of butter this weekend and had a lot of buttermilk to spare, so I decided to use it for my cornbread. It turned out to be a great decision - my cornbread is lighter and fluffier than any of my previous tries, and it tastes much better too. It even rose a little bit in the baking dish which was very exciting.

I'm so happy with my productivity today - I'm ready to enjoy the fruits of my labor throughout this upcoming busy week and eat some delicious local foods (minus the daily cooking and cleaning!).

No comments:

Post a Comment